Saturday, June 03, 2006

Internship and Other Stuff

It has been over a week since classes ended and almost a week since I finished my last paper. Life is good. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time doing nothing which has been very nice. Wednesday I even sat outside from about three in the afternoon until about nine or ten that night. I read in the sun, we grilled and ate outside, we sat around and talked. It’s good. I’ve enjoyed this time recovering from the stress of the end of the term by doing a whole lot of nothing.


I’m still working a bit - some time in the computer lab and one week I will also be spending some time at the front desk answering phones. The computer lab is a little dull now that I don’t have homework to do... but I think that’s what books and movies are for.


Thursday I went up to my internship site for my friend Lorin’s wedding. He was there last year as an intern. I thought it would be neat to go up there and check it out - kind of fly under the radar. That didn’t happen. I was introduced to a few people before the ceremony and then, thankfully, I was able to worship in peace. But about half an hour into the reception, one of the people I was introduced to before the ceremony came over, apologized for the interruption, and introduced me to two more people. That seemed to start a flow of people that either figured out that I was the next intern, I was pointed out to from across the room, or I was introduced to by several people. I was led around the room and introduced to more people... I took pictures with people. It was crazy.


Some reflections on the site - I think it will be a good place and I’m really looking forward to it. I got to hang out a bit with my supervisor which was good. I stayed the night with him and his family which meant we got to talk a bit the next morning before I left to come back here. I think I lucked out - he seems like a great supervisor which is what I thought when he was down here for the meet and greet back in February. In the meantime, I’m going back up next weekend for an official visit. I’ll get to see the house I’ll be living in and worship with the congregation on Sunday morning. I might even hang around for the church picnic Sunday evening, I haven’t decided. I will reflect more later I’m sure. =)


As for the rest of the summer - I’m looking forward to spending time reading what I want to read and doing nothing. I’m looking forward to playing some softball. I’m looking forward to this summer. I think there will be times I will get bored, there already have been. But I think it will be good for me.


And now I’m rambling... so I’ll stop here.


Kate

No comments: