Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Good Stuff

I had a wide open weekend this past weekend... the first one in a long time. It was kind of nice, but in some respects also more of what I’ve been trying to avoid all summer thus far. Because I’m only working a few hours each week, I have had lots of time to myself which has led to boredom at times (but not always). So with a wide open weekend, I wasn’t sure what to do with myself and it seemed like shades of boring times for me. Plus, it was more of the same stuff I have been doing during the week. Normally a weekend is a nice break, but I think I’ve been having a nice long break for the past month. But the weekend turned out well.


After sleeping in on Saturday, one of my friends called and asked if I wanted to go golfing. I played a nice round of golf from about 2 to 5:30 or so. It could have been a tad bit cooler, but it was sunny and really beautiful weather. The first couple of holes were not great for me. But after the fourth hole, I found my swing and played the rest of the round well. It was a good time. I have to say golf is truly wonderful, especially when the weather is beautiful as well. You get to be outside on grass and in the sun and take the time to enjoy it all because golfing is so relaxed. It can be a frustrating game if you’re really competitive (I sometimes fall subject to this), but as long as you step back and enjoy the surroundings, it makes it all better.


By the time I got back from golfing I ate dinner, showered, and relaxed a bit before going to bed. Sunday was the first Sunday in a long time I have not had a church commitment. The Sunday before, Fathers Day, was my last Sunday at my MIC site, so this one was free. I was intially going to go to church down the street at Christ. But as my alarm was going off, I kept hitting snooze and just couldn’t get myself out of bed. So at some point, I just decided to enjoy one of my few Sundays off from church. I kind of missed church, but it was probably good for me not to go and just take a break. Plus, we’re doing chapel at Trinity this summer so I have the ability (and have been taking advantage of this) to go to church five days a week. Today I even led worship at Trinity. So it’s not like I’m really lacking in the God-worshiping area. Plenty more opportunities to worship on a Sunday morning anyway. =)


The rest of Sunday was spent running errands and playing softball. I went to Wal-Mart for something I haven’t found at Target but have been able to get at Wal-Mart. I was reminded why I almost never go there anymore. Packed at 1:30 on a Sunday afternoon. I was also struck by how much I haven’t realized what happens on a Sunday outside of church. My typical Sunday looked like an unbelievably early morning followed by many hours of church. Then lunch, followed by a nap after my return home. Following my nap, I would get up and do homework during the school year and then since May it’s been softball. But in driving around Sunday afternoon, I realized that a lot of people treat Sunday as their Saturday. They are so busy going to soccer, little league, ballet, etc... on Saturday that they skip church, sleep-in on Sunday, and then run errands in the afternoon. Or, they go out and do things. The roads were packed in the afternoon whereas in the mornings on Sundays they are clear but I miss all the afternoon traffic because I’m curled up in my bed dreaming away or at my desk studying. It’s like another world out there!


Alright, enough rambling about the weekend. I’m sure I’ll post more later. Until then.


Kate

No comments: