Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day

Ahhhhh Memorial Day. Not only is it warm and sunny and classes are done, but I know it is Memorial Day because all of a sudden more crazy stuff happens around here. Columbus seems to be full of weird stuff, but things are especially off this weekend.


Drivers have gotten worse this weekend. I have seen more right turns from the middle lane, occupying more than one lane, going super, super slow, and stopping in the middle of nowhere in the last two days than I have in the past year combined. It is utterly amazing. And of course, sadly, the number of car accidents has also increased exponentially, particularly the fatal ones. I don’t know if alcohol is blame or what, but man has it gotten bad.


Secondly, there was an interesting incident at the Kroger less than a tenth of a mile from where I live. I came back from somewhere yesterday and as I was about to turn onto Main Street, I noticed that there was crime scene tape around half of the parking lot and in the middle was a van with the doors wide open. I also noticed a lot of cops. Apparently, there was a shoplifting (some have said two 12 packs of beer) and the shoplifter got into a confrontation with a Columbus police officer. Then, somehow, they went out to the van and there was another confrontation and the police officer shot the guy. He wasn’t wounded too bad (I guess) because he was released from the hospital last night into police custody. There is usually a police officer at Kroger at night, but I wonder if they put one there because it was the weekend. Either way, it was super busy over there yesterday and today. Then today I was driving past Kroger and an ambulance was pulling into the parking lot with its lights on. I don’t know, but there was certainly some crazy stuff going on there.


Otherwise things here are good. Classes have ended but I still have one more paper I’m finishing up. I’m hoping to get it done either tomorrow and if not then Tuesday. It won’t be terribly difficult, but the end of the term was super hectic and it just didn’t get done. Thankfully my professor is really flexible about due dates and as long as I get it to him sometime by the end of this week, I’m good. In many ways I’m happy that classes are done, I’m ready for a break. But I’m also sad. Many people have left already and I realize that the likelihood of seeing some of these people is not great. Even those I will see some times during internship and those I’ll see when I come back I’m going to miss. I think internship has really become real in the last week. I just don’t know how we got here. I think most of my sadness comes from the realization that the past two years have flown by which means the next two will be gone before I know it. I’m mourning being apart from my friends here... but not just for a year, but after we all leave after our senior year. I’m mourning the future... =)


That’s where I’m at... I’m pretty much just hanging around here for the summer. I’m working a bit around here, but will basically have a lot of time to myself. I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself and will probably be bored in about two weeks. But I’m enjoying it for now. I’m going up to my internship site on Thursday for one of my friends’ wedding. He was the intern there last year and that’s where his wedding is. I’m then going to visit ‘officially’ the second weekend in June - so that should be good.


I’ll be sure to keep all of you updated throughout the summer. I expect to be writing a bit more now that classes are over and things are less stressful. =)


Kate

No comments: