Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Power of the People

I’m a fan of the Colbert Report. It’s a half hour television show on Comedy Central much like the Daily Show (and actually more like a spoof of the O’Reilly Factor that airs on Fox News. There are very, very, very, very few things that Stephen Colbert (pronounced Col-bear), the host of the show, says that can be taken seriously. Everything and I mean everything is meant as a joke. There are a few regular parts of the show such as “The Word” and an interview with a guest that are simply hysterical. The interviews are particularly interesting as many people think it is a platform for a serious conversation. Meanwhile, Colbert interrupts and throws inane (and yet sometimes very appropriate) questions their way.


Anyway, I say all of this because I was impressed with the size of Colbert’s audience last night. There was a portion of his show last night during which he made reference to Heinz’s latest marketing tool, customizing the labels on ketchup bottles. All one has to do is go to www.myheinz.com in order to do so. During the course of the show, my friend Sarah got up to see how much ordering one of the bottles of ketchup would be and couldn’t access the site. Colbert had created such a ruckus about this, all the people going there crashed the site! Heinz ketchup! He also crashed Wikipedia back in July. And Giraldo Rivera believes that the Colbert Report doesn’t have any impact...


In other news, I have actually started packing. It’s a shock, I know... even to me... but I have started. Most of my books, particularly my theological/academic books, are packed. It’s only taken ten boxes to get most of them... and I haven’t even gotten to my notebooks and the other books (like novels, and there are a fair amount of them too) floating around here. I expect that will take at least another three boxes or maybe even more. The notion that I have too many books is beginning to be reinforced by all the boxes and I haven’t even started packing the rest of my stuff.


Medically... still having headaches. Most of the time it feels like the first stages of a headache, the stage right before I need to take medication. Yesterday, however, we moved from the achy, “I can handle this” stage to the full blown, “need Advil” stage. I also (and this won’t be pleasant, so for the weak of heart, skip this sentence... and maybe the one after it) was nauseous and then threw up again on Saturday. Not sure what that was all about. Today, in the middle of packing and moving boxes of books (which I didn’t think it was too excruciating) I felt icky and on the verge of nausea. I had to stop and take a break, eat some food and then start again. I don’t know... and this move in the middle of this is not seemingly pleasant. Not because I need to move, but in terms of health care and all that. I’ve been seeing my doctor here in Columbus... but if this keeps up I either need to come back down here for doctors appointments or find a doctor up there which means going through the history and then maybe getting paperwork faxed up etc... And that’s after I find a good doctor... I’m tired of being sick. For the most part of I’m able to do everything. But I want to go running or ride my bike, but I’m afraid the exertion would bring back the headaches even worse or the nausea. If packing and moving a few boxes (not very far by the way) brings back the nausea, then what would playing basketball do?


Alright, that’s probably way more than any of you ever wanted to know. But there it is. If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading my ramblings. =)


Kate

No comments: