Thursday, March 23, 2006

Christian Life

There are times here at Trinity I see an image that strikes me as descriptive of what it means to be a community in Christ. I had such an experience today, an experience that made me pause a bit but also allowed me to remember just how counter-cultural Christianity actually is.


We have chapel at Trinity every weekday. Today, we had a healing service and three people prayed over and anointed those who wanted prayers of healing. During chapel today, our president, Mark Ramseth, got up and kneeled in front of one my fellow students. As I watched Patrick place his hands on Mark’s head, I realized, this is the picture of community in Christ. The president (a title that typically holds a lot of importance for people in the real world) is kneeling in front of a student (who most people would place in a lower place) asking for prayers of healing. But here’s the thing, at that moment, Mark wasn’t President Ramseth kneeling in front of first year student Patrick. Instead, he was Mark, another person, asking another person for prayers of healing. That, my friends, is counter-cultural and a perfect example of what it means to be a Christian, a Christ follower, and in community.


In some respects, it is interesting that I even notice this because our president is incredibly accessible. He’s ok with us calling him Mark and I tend to play practical jokes on him... granted, I also respect him and the office he holds, but I like the fact that he understands he is another person. We can have fun together and play jokes on each other, but when it comes time for business, we can do that too.


Anyway, that’s my reflection for the day. More later I’m sure.


Kate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it when you have time to share your insights with us. They give me lovely opportunities to have a short meditation at work or wherever I'm reading your journal.

Love you,
Mom