Friday, March 17, 2006

Break

Breaks during this year have kind of made me wonder about myself a bit. What I mean is I don’t feel like I’m truly able to take a break from theology/ministry stuff. Even after I finished my exegetical for Luke on Monday night, I have found myself reading things (particularly the books I just bought for the upcoming quarter) and looking at all the recommendations Amazon has for me based on what I’ve bought and what I own (which is mostly theology/ministry related).


Don’t get me wrong, I’ve taken some time off and spent quite a bit of time this break watching 24 on DVD in addition to some NCAA basketball and other shows that I sometimes watch. I’ve also gone out with friends some evenings and tomorrow (really today I suppose) I’ll be going up to Canton, OH to go to the National Football Hall of Fame. Then, because tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, I believe some of us will be consuming green beer somewhere in the evening. Even with all of this, I can’t seem to get away from wanting to read, wanting to learn as much as possible.


I have mixed feelings about all of this. On one hand, I’m excited about this upcoming quarter and the classes I’m taking... so in some respects it is no wonder that I’m reading already for that stuff. On the other hand, however, I’m worried that I won’t be completely rested when I start classes again and that will lead to burn out somewhere down the line. I wonder a bit about my ability to get away from work and what that means for me taking care of myself so that I don’t burn out. Now, the more I think about this last possibility, the less I worry about it. I know that I am taking time away from academics (obviously, I’ve gone out and watched a bunch of TV this week). And, I’m excited about classes and what I’ll be learning... I’m not reading out of a sense of duty or because I have to get it done, I’m reading because I want to. That’s got to count for something I suppose. I admit that I’m a geek and I love to absorb and learn as much as possible - so I guess it is natural I would want to read as much as possible, even over break.


So that’s it for right now... I do need to get serious about working on a couple of sermons though. I’m preaching both Wednesday and the following Sunday in addition to starting classes next week. Assuming I figure out where I’m going with these two sermons now, it shouldn’t be too bad. But we’ll see what happens. =)


More later.


Kate

No comments: