Friday, May 19, 2006

What does it mean for Jesus to be human?

What does it mean for Jesus to be human? This is the big question that the Da Vinci Code is posing to many people, particularly those who are Christian. Does it mean that Jesus was intimate? Was he married? Was he married to Mary Magdalene?


These are all very valid questions - but I’m not sure that they are reason to boycott the Da Vinci Code movie. I’ve read many news stories lately about the Roman Catholic Church asking their members to boycott the movie. It strikes me that maybe the Church isn’t doing a good enough job educating our members. If we are worried that a movie (some would even say a Tom Hanks movie) is going to shake our faith - we need to look at what we have (or have not) been teaching our membership. Have we been educating them about what the Da Vinci Code claims? Have we paid any attention to this at all? What about the book? It’s been out for several years now and been at the top of the best seller lists since it came out. Why the sudden concern? Where was the Catholic Church when the book came out? Maybe I just missed it, but if I didn’t, why didn’t they ask people not to buy the book?


It’s fiction! I think that’s the key - and that’s what the Roman Catholic Church is missing. They feel threatened by a movie. I, personally, think that Jesus is bigger and more powerful than a movie (or a book). I think the Church has survived many other controversies that were far worse than a movie and I’m going to guess that it’s because of God. If it were solely up to us, the Church probably would have died a long, long time ago.


So my advice, go see the movie. But then talk about it with your pastor. I’m available to talk about it too - if you want to post a comment or something, I will get back to you. Besides, I’m of the opinion that we need to be able to question our faith. If we can’t and don’t, there is no way we can or will ever grow in our faith. And, without growth, it is easier to stall out and much easier to have our faith shattered in a crisis. We need to be able to question. =)


In other news - I have learned that if you stick forks in people’s yards, they will give you an award for leadership. I recently received the Edward and Leona Peters Award from Trinity. This award is for students who excel in leadership on and off campus, and maturity in dealing with people and problems. This award is given by the faculty - some of whom have been “forked” by me and some of my classmates. Actually, it was quite funny when the award was given - President Ramseth was presenting them. After he read what the qualifications for the award were, he said, “No commentary... and the first award goes to Kate Murray.” What’s so funny about that is he has been the one most frequently forked. So there must be something about this seemingly backward system - play practical jokes on the faculty and administration and they give you an award for leadership... I’m not sure, honestly, what else I have done to deserve this award. Maybe I’ve just been myself. =)


So that’s the news. One more week of school - only one and a half papers left and then I’m done. In some ways, I’m very ready for Summer Break. In other ways, I’m sad because many of my friends are leaving and I won’t see them for another year or so. I think I’m just in denial at the moment - but starting to come to reality. We’ll see what happens.


Kate

No comments: