Thursday, February 16, 2006

New Job...

Yesterday, I was offered a new job for the spring term and today I accepted. I’m going to be the Bible Division’s research assistant starting at the beginning of the spring term. The person who was the research assistant has to relinquish the job, so they asked me. It came out of the blue, but I think it’s going to be a pretty cool job. Basically it includes checking references in manuscripts and some bibliographical work for the Bible Division professors. What’s pretty cool about it is that it can include what any of them are working on. So I’ll probably be seeing some of their manuscripts for future books and other writing projects which will be neat. So basically, I’ll be getting paid to do something I would probably do for free. =) I’m somewhat amazed they asked me because usually the division assistants are seniors. But on the other hand, I’m not terribly surprised because almost the entire Bible Division has cornered me at some point about going to grad school and getting a PhD which I am seriously considering. Actually, today when I accepted, Wally (who is the division chair) told me that one reason they asked me other than I’m a good student is because if I do decide to go to grad school, this can be something else to put on my resume. Sounds good to me.


Anyway, I should say that I will be adding another job... I’ll still be working in the computer lab too. The bonus about that job is it is almost guaranteed homework time and I get paid for that too. It’s got to be the sweetest job on campus. Plus, if it is ever slow for me for homework, I could technically work on the stuff for my new job while I’m in the lab... make double the money for the same number of hours - sweet!


The only other hot topic thing right now is Ft. Worth. I leave early Friday morning to head there for a conference. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m excited about the conference itself; plus, I’m excited to get out of here for the weekend. It does mean I’m losing a weekend... but I would probably lose this weekend anyway because it is also Visit Trinity (when prospective students come) and originally I was signed up to help with several of the events. Anyway, I’m looking forward to it and I think it will be awesome. Plus, the hotel we’re at for the conference is the hotel (apparently) that JFK stayed at the night before he was shot. Now it’s a Radisson, I don’t know what it was then, but I thought that was pretty cool.


I’ve probably written enough and it is definitely time to go to bed. I’m pretty wiped. The last several days have been extremely busy.


Kate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new post. I'm not surprised, you're a pretty awesome person.

Kim said...

Congrats on the new job - I have to say it is quite rare - although as you say, no unexpected! Let me know how it goes - as I will be the TA for the Ministry Division all next year.

Also, have fun at the conference - the other intern here in Portland will be there with her supervisor who is a presenter. Her name is Carrie Kohn - and of course, I can't think of his name (40's/50's tall, 'tan', blond hair, and an earing.) If you see them - say hi for me! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

May I add my congrats on your new job. I second your Dad's comment, you are INDEED a PRETTY and an AWESOME Lady. Have fun in Ft Worth. Hugs, Grandma