Monday, October 02, 2006

In Biloxi...

After many, many, many hours in the car, we are finally here in Biloxi. We arrived at some point this afternoon and after only being here for about 45 minutes several of us immediately went to work on the roof of the church. Apparently the roof was really the only part of the church that was damaged (from what I was told) and they did replace it. Well, apparently there was also a leak in the roof and that was what they were working on today when we got here.

Some reflections about the past 10 hours especially... when we got to Biloxi, we traveled along the coast and saw some of the destruction that has happened. It's been over a year and typically around Biloxi some sense of normalcy has returned. However, you drive along the gulf and you see lots and lots of signs where fast food restaurants used to be and where there is a sign, there isn't a restaurant. I think I was particularly struck by a condo building where on the side, somebody painted, "Mom, we're ok." It's still there... images we saw on the news over a year ago... still here, live in person. I reflected a lot on what's left after everything is taken away. When Jesus says, "Do not store up your treasures here on earth, but in heaven," I think of things stripped away. But today, I also talked with a woman who had no physical damage to her house but instead had her son and daughter-in-law killed in the storm. She had to wait two weeks for them to identify the body and she also had to provide DNA for them to identify her son's body. What's left when your family is ripped from you? The only conclusion I can come to is God. I believe that's the reason why so many poor people have such a strong faith. I also believe that is why it is so hard for me and the rest of my middle class peers have such a hard time with faith. We are so used to doing things on our own... to being able to support ourselves, be able to take care of ourselves. It's hard to rely on others, to rely on something or somebody we can't see. What's left after everything is stripped away?

I'm sure I will ponder this more as I journey through this week. Look for more posts, either while I'm here or after I return to Ohio.

Kate

No comments: