Sunday, October 22, 2006

Moving along...

Things are moving along fairly rapidly... I realize it's been a while since I last posted, but things seem to be flying by and I've been so busy that it's been difficult for me to find the time/energy to write something. Often times it simply slips my mind until I'm laying in my bed and thinking about the day for the 30 seconds between the time I turn the lights off and the time I fall asleep. But honestly, things are moving right along and I'm almost not sure where the time has gone or is going.

I've been here for two months now and in some ways it seems like I've been here forever and in others it seems like I've just moved in. Both are good things. As far as the first, I'm getting to the point where I'm so comfortable here that it seems like I've been here for a while now. However, time flies when you're having fun (and when you get older I'm learning) and time is certainly flying. With that in mind, it seems like I just moved in last week.

Things are going well. Friday night and most of Saturday was spent at a Confirmation Retreat with our 7th and 8th graders. I planned pretty much the whole retreat so it was a lot of work, but it was worth it. We have some really good kids in confirmation this year and while they can get a little loud at times, we had good conversations on this retreat. One of the girls' parents' told me this morning that her favorite memory was Friday night devotions. We were at a Holiday Inn in Independence (about 25 minutes away) and there was a very happening bar in the lobby of the hotel. It seemed that many of the people arriving there for an evening in the bar were locals. I find it very interesting that a hotel bar would attract such a crowd... but it did. Anyway, we had enough kids that we needed a bigger space to gather for devotions than trying to crowd into one of our rooms. So we went down to the lobby... right outside the bar in fact. There were lots of people milling about, several with a beer or some other beverage in their hands, all the while the kids (and adults) are sharing their highs and lows (one good thing and one not so good thing that happened to them in the past week). Finally, we all held hands and prayed... right in the middle of the bar crowd almost. One of the parents who was dropping off their kid after a football game and arrived right as we started praying, said that we were drawing a lot of attention from the others in the room. I bet we were! Mind you, we weren't actually in the bar, but we were close enough that we may as well have been. When I think about it, I wonder what the other people were thinking. Not that I really care, but do they think we are some fundamentalist group who was praying for their souls because they were out drinking and having fun? Honestly, we weren't praying for the people around us at all (maybe we should have been... but we weren't). I must admit that it is one of my favorite memories of the weekend too. =)

So that's probably a long enough story. I'll post more later when I am better rested. I spent the afternoon and early evening helping Rob (my supervisor) put in a Pergo floor at his house. He and I got really good at while we were in Biloxi (and I found I really liked doing it). Plus, he and his wife Kim had already made a decision to replace the carpeting in their family room with something else before we went to Biloxi. So, it was while we were down south that he decided Pergo was a good idea. I think it was a good choice. It looks good and it wasn't terribly difficult to put down. In fact, it was easier than the floor in Biloxi!

The short story is, I missed my Sunday afternoon nap. So I'm pretty beat. I didn't (obviously) sleep in this morning and I didn't get my nap. I didn't get too much sleep on Friday night either... so I'm ready for bed! With that, I'll say good night and I'll write more later.

Kate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, you are becoming one of us. Before you know it, you will be in bed by 9:30 (am or pm) your choice.

Dad