Friday, February 23, 2007

Biloxi Challenge

One more post tonight – hopefully it’s short.

Here at Lord of Life, we’ve committed to raising $25,000 for a new house in Biloxi. As part of this process, we’ve handed out ten dollar bills to members in the congregation asking that they use the money somehow and multiply it. If everybody makes their ten dollars into a hundred dollars then we’ll raise the money we need. Now, how people go about doing that is totally up to them. One person has been baking bread and then selling it. Some others shined shoes last Sunday and turned their ten dollars into two hundred dollars! Still others have got their entire tennis team in on the deal and they are selling old possessions on eBay and then donating the money to the Biloxi Challenge.

So here’s the problem – I still have ten dollars that I need to make into a hundred (or more). I’m not sure what to do… I want to tell the story, get the word out there. It is partially about the money, but it’s more about the story. What are we doing and why are we doing it? Answer those questions for people – help them to see why we have committed to helping the people of the Gulf Coast. But I also know very few people in this area outside of church (and I want to do something outside of Lord of Life). Plus, what skills do I have for making money? How do I invest my ten dollars?

Please, if you have any ideas at all about this, let me know. If you simply want to give me money, I’ll take that too. =) But preferably I would like to do something and have a great story to tell some day. So any help in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take your $10 and print up "Shares" for the new house. Remember how we did that at HC for a project? Might just work for you. - Dad

Anonymous said...

Well, let's look at the things you're good at. You could print up flyers and distribute them in the neighborhood behind you and at church offering to babysit-list Rob and Kim as references. You could do flyers offering math and/or English tutoring. Teach a course in something and charge $10 a head.

Love, Mom