Thursday, February 07, 2008

Yes We Can

Today has truly been Ash Wednesday.

It wasn't just Ash Wednesday because of the liturgical calendar or because I was reminded I am dust and to dust I shall return as the gritty, grimy ashes were placed on my forehead. Today was also Ash Wednesday because I was reminded in very real ways of just how human we are. Friends were either mourning a death this morning or in surgery. Others were struggling with emotional responses to illness. Some have suffered some real difficulties and it seemed like today was the day that all came to bare.

Today has truly been Ash Wednesday.

But in the midst of it, I was reminded that even though I am but dust, even though we are but dust, God calls us out of that and into relationship. God's promises continue to give us hope. I was reminded especially by a music video put together with Barack Obama's victory speech in South Carolina a week ago or so. So I pass this along... and hopefully you'll watch it regardless of your political leanings. I like the messages of hope and unity as we look to the future of not only this country, but for the world and the church as well.





No comments: